What has been the biggest clinic topic of the last year and a half? The Importance of Neck Training!
Types of training used most today
1. Manual neck training with partner or coach
2. Neck Machines - Most common neck machines - Nautilus, Hammer, Pendulum, Power Lift seated and ground based
3. Plate loading neck work
4. Band resistance
NOTE -How many muscular 20 inch plus necks and great upper traps do you see today at any level??
Think of the players of yesterday - Butkus, Nobis - They had great necks!
Types of training done yesterday
1. Neck Harness
2. Neck Bridging
NOTE: Ever see a wrestler with no neck or traps?
Tips to go with my latest instructional video on Neck Harness Training (shown above)
1. Start with a good leather neck harness- Best to be able to adjust it so multiple athletes using it can have their own towel over their head and then the harness.
2. Weight resistance - minimal resistance, maximum reps. Start with light weight and high reps (25 or better)! Note - work up to 50 at least before raising weight.
3. Exercises to concentrate on:
A.Up Right Scapulas back - chin chest to ceiling - middle -right - left -fatigues - finish off with the first 10 degrees of chin movement
B. Athletic - i.e. football position - proceed to repeat the above process!
1. Scapulas re-tracked in all positions
2. Chin only is moving. If the body is moving you have too much weight /no ballistics
3. When you can not do any more reps full range - do another 3 to 5 moving the chin as much as possible.
4. Search for muscle involvement from
A. Head & Neck - Muscles
B. Traps- Upper & Lower
C. Back - Lats - Rhomboids - Erectors
D. Glutes & Hams
Post a Comment