Issue: WE, AS COACHES, HAVE TOLD THE ATHLETES 100 TIMES WHAT TO DO AND THEY STILL ARE DOING IT WRONG - Whether it is in WEIGHT ROOM, ON THE FIELD, OR IN THE CLASS ROOM!
Goals should be established for each issue, then re-state the FUNDAMENTALS involved.
-SET GOALS –catching the ball
- SET OBJECTIVES –to establish habitual technically executed catches
-SET ACCOUNTABILITY-improper technique (catch or no catch has consequences)
-DOMINATE THROUGH FUNDAMENTALS-Example I just heard one of the TV analysts, an ex-player, say that there is nothing you can do if a player cannot catch the ball!
TEACHERS NEED TO BELIEVE- IF IT CAN BE DONE, IT CAN BE TAUGHT!
Training the eyes is a VERY important skill, one more often neglected than not!
Skills for catching rely heavily on the eye skills that can and should be habitual. This can be taught!
1. EYES AND HEAD NEED TO MOVE TO THE BALL
2. EYES AND HEAD NEED TO FOLLOW THE BALL INTO THE TUCK AWAY INTO THE CRADLE OF THE ELBOW
NOTE: TOKEN FOLLOWING OF THE PROCEDURE WILL NOT WORK!
NOTE: EXAGGERATED EXECUTION IS THE KEY! CHIN SHOULD SHOW THE MOVEMENT OF THE HEAD TO THE CHEST TO THE ELBOW WHERE THE BALL IS TUCKED AWAY!
NOTE: IF YOU WANT TO BE GREAT YOU MUST EXAGGERATE THE POSITIVE TO ELIMINATE THE NEGATIVE.
GOAL- LEARNING the fundamentals of the CATCH
1. Objective -100 BALLS CAUGHT with proper technique PER DAY
2. Consequences of drop or poor technique ADDS 10 PROPERLY EXECUTED CATCHES
ACCOUNTABILITY IS IN EACH RECEIVER WORKING WITH EACH OTHER TO GET THIS DONE. BALL TOUCHED IS A BALL CAUGHT! Receivers work to teach each other . LEARNING TO TEACH A SUBJECT is the surest way to learn something !
Post a Comment